Many people think that common sense dictates what is to be done after an auto accident. Maybe so, but our common sense can desert us under stress. It is a good idea to keep this simple checklist in your car with your other important papers (registration, etc.).
* Get help for anyone injured.
* Call the police if someone is injuredor killed, if a vehicle can’t be moved, or if the accident involved a hit-and-run driver.
* Move your car, if possible, to avoid blocking traffic and to protect it from further loss or damage. But be careful–many people are injured at accident scenes each year by other drivers who are not paying attention.
* Get the other driver’s name, address, telephone number, license plate number, driver’s license number, and insurance information. Give the other driver the same information.
* Record the insurance company name and the policy number exactly as they appear on the other driver’s proof-of-insurance card. Similar company names can cause confusion.
* Don’t sign anything except a ticket, citation, or report issued by the police.
* Notify your insurance company promptly. It will want the names and addresses of witnesses and injured persons.
* Never sign any document that gives up a legal right.
* Contact a New York lawyer to find out about your right to recover for your injuries.
If you have been in an accident and have questions about whether you need a lawyer or whether you have a right to monetary damages, call us. Decisions that must be made after an accident are very important. We can advise you and, if appropriate, deal with the insurance company or other parties on your behalf.
Stephen Bilkis & Associates, with convenient locations throughout the New York Metropolitan area, can provide you advice related to personal injury. Stephen Bilkis & Associates, with convenient locations throughout the New York Metropolitan area. Without an attorney, you may not be protecting you and your loved ones. A New York attorney will make you aware of all your rights.