Published on:

Family of Slain Man Sue Police for wrongful death


A family has filed a $120-million personal injurylawsuit against an officer who allegedly killed a Pace University football player in the course of a late-night bar fight.

The 20-year-old student was allegedly shot by two officers as they removed a crowd of people, mostly Pace students, from a Mount Pleasant bar in the fall of 2010.

Prosecutors did not file charges against the two officers who shot the young man, claiming there wasn’t sufficient evidence to show they’d done anything wrong, sources told The public. The student’s family filed a wrongful-death lawsuit in federal court against the officer who fired the fatal shot.

The father of the student said the civil suit will hold the officer responsible for what occurred that night. Police Depts. in Staten Island and Westchester face the same problems from time to time.

“We said from the beginning we didn’t think this would be investigated in a way that was fair. It wasn’t prosecuted that way either,” The attorney for the officer had no immediate comment.

It is the hope of the student’s father the lawsuit will uncover new evidence, such as 911 audiotapes and surveillance footage of the area where the tragedy took place.

The officers fired shots into the victim’s car as he attempted to drive away from the crowd. They are white, while the man shot was black. The U.S. Department of Justice is investigating whether civil rights laws involving official misconduct were violated.

The municipality of Pleasantville is also a defendant in the lawsuit. The complaint says the employer of the officer did not properly punish him for his actions. The local police union has recently awarded the officer named in the lawsuit with its annual Officer of the Year Award.

Investigators could not reach Pleasantville officials for further comment.

No one can bring back something that has been lost, particularly the life of a loved one. That does not mean the cause of that loss should be able to escape justice. .

If you need someone to represent you in court, your best possible resource is a New York Injury Lawyer. Call an injury lawyer at Stephen bilkis and Associates..

Contact Information